UNIVERSITY GRANTS COMMISSION
BAHADUR SHAH ZAFAR MARG
NEW DELHI-110 002.
No. F. 1-2/2016 (PS/PRC)
9th June, 2016
1. The UGC in consultation with the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) hereby constitutes the Pay Review Committee for pay revision of academic staff of Universities and Colleges with the following
Terms of Reference (ToRs):
- To review the implementation of the previous decision of the Government/UGC under the scheme of Revision of Pay Scales approved for University and College Teachers, Librarians, Physical Education Personnel and other academic staff in Universities and Colleges, and in the process, to evaluate the extent to which the earlier recommendations in relation to qualifications, service conditions and pay-scales etc. have been implemented.
- To examine the present structure of emoluments and conditions of service of University and College Teachers, Librarians, Physical Education Personnel and other academic staff in Universities and Colleges and to suggest revision in the structure, taking into account the minimum qualifications, career advancement opportunities, and total packet of benefits available to them (such as superannuation benefits, medical, housing facilities, etc.).
- To. make recommendations on the ways and means for attracting and retaining talented persons in the teaching profession, as well as for furtherance of research in the University System and also for theircareer advancement in teaching and equivalent positions in order to improve the quality of higher education.
- To make recommendations on the ways and means for the furtherance and improvement in the quality of research in the university system as well as ways to encourage engagement with industry for their research requirements.
- To make recommendations on ways and means to improve quality of teaching and encouraging/incentivizing the use of Information Technology in teaching.
- To look into the cases of anomalies, if any, in the matter of pay structure and/or career advancement opportunities for any categories of academic staff, consequent on revision of pay scales based on the recommendations of the preceding Pay Review Committee and to suggest remedial measures.
2.The composition of the UGC Pay Review Committee shall be as follows:
- Prof. V.S. Chauhan, - Chairman, Member, UGC, Former Director, International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Res: B-23, Geetanjali Enclave, New Delhi-110 017.
- Prof. P. Duraisamy, - Member National Fellow, Madras Institute of Development Studies, 79, Second Main Road, Gandhi Nagar, Adyar, Chennai.
- Prof. Ram Singh - Member Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi.
- Shri R.C. Panda - Member Retd. lAS (TN: 1972)
- Shri Praveen Kumar, lAS - Member Secretary Joint Secretary, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi.
3. The Chairman and the Members of the Pay Review Committee shall perform their responsibility on part-time basis.
4. The Pay Review Committee will recommend the revision of pay of academic staff of Central Universities and Colleges there under and the Institutions Deemed to be Universities whose maintenance expenditure is met by the University Grants Commission.
5. The Pay Review Committee shall initiate necessary studies and analysis with regard to the Terms of Reference and to make its final recommendations in the light of yth CPC recommendations.
6. The pay/structure of emoluments for the non-academic officers and staff of Central Universities and Colleges there under and the Institutions
Deemed to be Universities whose maintenance expenditure is met by UGC and officers & staff working in the UGC are concerned, it will be finalized, separately, in consultation with the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance, in light of the yth CPC recommendations implemented by the Government of India, and therefore, shall be outside the purview of the PRC.
7. The Pay Review Committee should submit its report to the UGC within six months of its constitution. The Pay Review Committee shall be serviced by the UGC.
Vice-ChairmanTo all the Members of the Committee.
1. Secretary (HE), MHRD, Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi.
2. JS (HE), MHRD, Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi.
3. JS (Expenditure), Ministry of Finance, North Block, New Delhi.http://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/UGC-notice-0002.pdf